On behalf of CAB, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has supported the Day Worker Center, from hiring day workers, sharing the link in social media, donated gifts for the holidays, volunteered at the Covid-19 Vaccine Clinic and/or made a monetary/gift card donation– YOU are instrumental in making our vision a reality.
These last couple of years, have been exacerbated by the pandemic, has become more evident that day workers face unimaginable challenges with the ongoing economic crisis. As we move onto the new year 2022 more challenges, and difficulties, continue from new Covid variants to the ongoing economic crisis and the uncertainty future our day workers and their families.
We are very hopeful that with your unceasing support, we continue to elevate the lives of those impacted with the pandemic and economic crisis.
Since Summer of 2021, highlights:
- The DWC hosted 2 vaccination clinics, 39 individuals were vaccinated.
- Over $7,000 in food assistance has been distributed.
- Dispersed 60 boxes of diapers & 40 backpacks filled with essentials to day workers.
- The DWC attended 3 Community Relief Events to support those who were impacted by the CZU Fire.
Over 1000 flyers were distributed in Santa Cruz County door-t0-door to increase our employer network.
- Job matches continued to be low compared to Pre-Covid by 80%.
- Work ethics, ESL and financial literacy classes continue to be embedded during weekly general assembly sessions.
- A special visit by the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office to address concerns about safety in the school settings.
We are filled with gratitude for our DWC advisory board, direct staff, and allies who have been tirelessly working hard to stand-up for day laborers and immigrant workers.
On behalf of CAB and those we serve, we thank you for making it possible for us to carry out our mission of working towards a thriving, equitable and diverse community free from poverty and injustice.
Looking forward to our continued collaboration in the coming year 2022.
Maria Rodriguez-Castillo, Programs Director